Zimbabwean-style music for orff instruments
Percussionist/music educator Walt Hampton launches your upper elementary Orff instruments ensembles into the stratosphere with these nine original pieces, based on or inspired by marimba music of the Shona people of Zimbabwe. This is dance music, guaranteed to make your students beg to rehearse. Even the preliminary exercises will have your classroom buzzing. And the performance pieces will drive audiences wild!
The book includes:
- 9 graded pieces that take your students step-by-step through the skills they need to wail on their xylophones;
- Copy-permissable scores for all pieces;
- How to approach each piece;
- Background on the marimba ensembles of both Zimbabwe and the US;
- Map of Africa;
- Performance suggestions;
- Teaching suggestions.
The CD features:
- Every tune played clearly in full-length versions that make it easy to hear individual parts;
- Am amazing performance by Walt’s students from Marcus Whitman Elementary School in Richland, WA